Importance of SPF
The temperature in Karachi seems to be increasing day by day, with little to no sign of a pleasant, rainy day. The harmful rays, in technical words the “Ultra Violet”, emitted from the sun can cause severe damage to our skin. To seek protection from UV radiation, we Karachites are compelled to apply sunscreen whenever we go out in the field.
SPF, or rather “Sun Protection Factor”, is the measure of how much protection can the sunscreen provide against the rays of the sun. It is a myth that the higher the SPF, the more the protection against the devil (sorry, the sun!). The experts recommend using SPF 30. This is because there is not much of a difference between the effectiveness of SPF 30 and for e.g. SPF 50. SPF 50 is said to give you only 1% more protection as compared to SPF 30. The use of SPF 30 sunscreen every two hours guarantees 97% protection against the UV rays, which is considered to be enough for most situations.
The extremely hot weather in Karachi, especially in summers, requires a dire need for sunblock. If a person does not apply sunblock, the chances of sunburn and possibly skin cancer, CAN increase. Sunscreen is the single most important accessory a person in Karachi must have apart from a lipsitck =p. One should not limit its use to summer months only; it is necessary in every season, whether it be winter even.
The best choices for sunscreens are the following:
- The most popular and well-known sunblock brand is La Roche Posay Anthelios 60 Ultra Light sunscreen fluid. It is a renowned European brand.
- The second popular and top sunscreen brand is Lotus Safe Sun Anti Tan Gel Cooling Sunscreen. It is considered as the best choice for those women who have oily skin.
- The third popular brand is Nuetrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunblock. It is water resistant and has absolutely no added scents.
- Another well-liked brand of sunscreen is Lakme Sun Expert Fairness body Sunscreen Lotion. It has SPF 24 protection and has maximum amount of moisture in it.
- Another excellent brand is Copperstone sensitive skin Sunscreen lotion SPF 50. Copperstone is famous for its high quality products. It is perfect for sensitive skin and furthermore, it is non greasy and water resistant.
- Last of all, the famous Kate Somerville body glow sunscreen broad spectrum SPF 20. This is one the leading sunscreens. It is light and holds your makeup, thus preventing it from melting.
Thus, it is advisable for all women and even young girls to use sunscreen while going out in order to protect their skin from sunburn or getting dark.