Tips From The Experts at The Luxury Closet
We all soak in the pleasure of our materialistic treasures, but do we all spend equal time maintaining it? While some of us go out of our way to look after such prized possessions, others just forget them after using them. Luckily, The experts at The Luxury Closet have put together a few simple steps you can take to ensure that you’re precious items are kept in mint condition.
- Store your item in its original packaging: All leather goods come with stuffing, a dust bag and sometimes a box for the most luxurious brands. It is not only pretty, it helps keep your item in good condition, protects from any contact with other items and therefore reduces the risks of damage or sunlight which could also affect the colour of your luxury piece. Keeping the original
packaging also increases its chances to sell!
- Protect your leather goods. Applying an anti-rain coat on any of your leather goods can really make a difference and avoid some of the most common damage to your precious bag. Leather is like any skin and therefore gets affected by sunlight for example, as well as by rain or any other liquid that the leather could absorb and which could change its original colour.
- Keep pens away! The biggest enemy of leather goods and patent leathers is a pen mark. Nothing can be done about it so if you also carry pens in your bag, remind yourself to close securely to avoid inside marks as well.
- Luxury pieces mean luxury care! Do not put your brand new Chanel bag on the floor if you sit in a restaurant, and avoid contact with dark clothes, which could transfer colours. Always make sure to avoid any food or drinks close to your bag.
- Keep the shape of your bag with stuffing and by hanging it on a pants hanger! Some shapes, especially square or flap shapes could be damaged by storing your bag on a flat floor and we recommend keeping the chain on a pants hanger.
- Do not dye a luxury bag with a third party company if you wish to resell it. Dying luxury leather goods can only be done by the brand itself so that it keeps its value on a resale market. If your bag is stained and you dye it with a different company like a shoe cleaner or bag servicing company, its luxury value and authenticity will be affected and most of the resale companies will not accept it for resale.
- Before reselling your bag we always advise to service with the original
brand for a quick cleaning or do the basic cleaning by yourself. Reselling companies like us will not clean luxury bags and therefore it is important that the bag arrives to us in top condition so that the minimum amounts of stains or faults appear in the final pictures.
- Do not try to clean your patent leather luxury
bag; it is impossible. Patent leather is like a topcoat on your nails, once there is a stain on it, you cannot remove it.
- If you wish to resell it on a market place and you are the one taking the picture of your luxury bag, shoot it in a luxury way. A bag displayed without stuffing and thrown on a table will not look as nice as a bag shot with an appealing background or
nice environment around to enhance the image! A white background is also standard for most of the companies.
- Keep your receipt. It gives credibility, trust and ensures the authenticity of your luxury bag.
“Ms.Elisabeth Bohler, Head of Merchandising at The Luxury Closet”